Saturday 16 April 2011

Now I know spring is here!!

Look what I've just seen.  I was woken up this morning by some very loud sqwarking and high pitched squeaking - it sounded horrific.  Up I jumped to see who was being slaughtered and saw this:


There was mother duck and about 15 ducklings on a walk about!  I have a school to the left of my house and a largish pond over on the right.  It seems mummy duck took her babies for a walk.  When I first looked out the babies seemed to be committing 'hari kari' by throwing themselves off the top of a 7 foot hedge surrounding the school.  How they got up there I really don't know.  Hence the terrible noise!
 Once mother duck had checked everyone was there, off she set shepherding them across my garden towards the pond, in single file!
 Originally when all the noise first started two more ducks flew in but only seemed to be watching, not helping mother duck at all.  However once she had set off with her brood, I noticed there was one baby left.  How on earth she knew that one wasn't hers, I don't know!  Anyway these two ducks then took charge of their baby.  The mother duck pecking and encouraging the baby to hurry up and father keeping an eye out for danger!

 Come on, stop dawdling!  Scuse my patched grass!!
Now how on earth do we get through this lot?

How cute was that?  I'll bet not many people get nature brought right to their doorsteps!!

See ya!! x

8 comments:

Scrappy~Sarah said...

Great pics, you will have to scrap this story :)

liz said...

Thanks Sarah. Good idea, I'll have to give it a go. x

KraftyKaren said...

Awwwwww how sweeeet!

Karen x

liz said...

Thanks Karen, yes, it was but a bit of a rude awakening! x

Linda said...

How lovely is that :)

liz said...

Thanks Linda - I thought it was too. x

Anita said...

Quacking good shots you got there Liz :), how lucky are you having that sort of lovely sight, they are adorable..x

liz said...

Anita that is terrible!! Thank you though - I am lucky. x