Thursday, 28 February 2013

Keeping my fabric stash tidy

My clever friend Sue has told me how she keeps her fabric stash tidy.  She has bought CD / DVD holders and put her stash in them.  It seemed such a good idea I thought I'd have a look.  I looked in Argos and they've got some nice holders, but I happened to be meeting up with Sue and my other friend Sandie at Ikaea in Lakeside on Wednesday.  Whilst we were walking round,  there were some CD / DVD holders.  I just couldn't resist so I bought one. 
I didn't think it would be quite that tall, but hey ho I managed to get it into my car and carry it back into the house.  I looked like a carpenter with the pieces carried on my shoulder!  I couldn't wait to put it together and it all went together very easily.
Saturday I spent some happy hours putting my stash into colours and into the holder.  It does look very smart I must say.  I'm very pleased although rather surprised at the amount of stash I've got!!

Neat, eh?  Very happy! x

Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Maybe my next project?

When I was having my camera sorted out and buying a new battery at the Camera Shop in Hailsham, I went into the Demelza Children's Charity Shop nearby.  In the window was a beautiful cushion which caught my eye - it had 'Home' appliqued on it. 

I was so taken with it I went inside.  Nice, isn't it?  There I found another cushion with 'Love' on it.  I fell in love with it (sorry no pun intended) and bought it.  The lady in shop didn't know who had made them so I can't put a label on them.

Isn't it effective?  I would like to have a try at doing something similar.  The letters seem quite easy but I'm sure they're not.  The two flowers are not sewn down all the way round, just under the button, so the petals stand up a bit.  I'll let you know how I get on. x

Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Another card

Still using the Holly Pond Hill CD I printed off the papers to make this card for one of my grandsons in Australia.  It reminded me so much of him as he loves the water and diving in, so I made it for him and sent it off. 

Very simple but I hope he will like it! x

Monday, 25 February 2013

This time a card for my grand daughter

Having made a card for my grandson in Australia I had to make one for my grand daughter too, otherwise I would be in trouble! 
I had invested in some Angelica stamps and CD from Crafter's Companion and there is a beautiful stamp of a ballet dancer in it.  My grand daughter loves dancing so I thought this would be perfect for her.

I coloured in the stamp using Promarkers and I used one of my Martha Stewart punhes along the bottom.  I've sent it off too so hopefully she likes it. x

Sunday, 24 February 2013

Star card


I thought I'd show you a star card I found on Crafter's Companion project ideas.  It was very unusual and perfect for me to make a 'welcome' card to my latest grandson, Joel, in Australia.

I think its quite an effective card.  It takes one sheet of 16 x 16 card and its just folded.  The paper I used is from the DCWV stacks called Nana's Nursery - Baby Boy.  Its a lovely selection of baby papers.  The stamps are from Crafter's Companion Beatrix Potter stamps which I coloured with Pro Markers.

I wanted to make it to take with me to Australia which I did.  Chris and Fionna seemed quite pleased with it.

Thank you for looking. x 

Saturday, 23 February 2013

Look what I've made -

Me again - I know I'm always apologising for the long delays between entries on my blog - I've sort of got an excuse - I've been away visiting my son in Australia for a month and then my camera died on me!  I've no more excuses now though - I got a new battery for the camera yesterday and I've been back from Oz since the end of January!!
Now when I was in Oz I bought some fabric squares.  My friend Sue showed me a lovely patchwork book (sorry don't know the name) and which had a brilliant bag project using fabric squares.  Meant to be.  So Sue kindly photocopied me the project and voila - here is the bag!  I'm quite pleased with it as I've never done anything like it before but its a bit bigger than I thought it would be.

The project required sewing the patches together, then sewing 'in the ditch' one either side of the contrast fabric as well as quilting each patch. I was not prepared for the amount of thread I had to use - nearly two complete spools of Gutterman!!
The bag is lined (I used an old linen sheet, which worked very well) and also has matching patched inside pocket.
Should I make it again though I shall make it smaller and possibly change the bag fastening as the one used is not all that secure.  The project suggested using a magnet fastening, which I did, bought from that lovely fabric shop, the Pumpkin Patch in Hailsham, but the closure is not that strong.  I also got the contrast fabric from the Pumpkin Patch.
Anyway I've made it and I'm very pleased with my first attempt.  I hope you like it too.
Thank you for looking.