Friday 7 December 2012

Special commissioned cards

I go regularly to the hairdressers (not that you'd be able to guess!) and last year my hairdresser happened to see some of my cards I had made for work.  She loved them and bought a couple from me, which was very flattering.  Anyway, when I went to her a couple of months ago she asked me if I would make 'special' cards for her four grandchildren, three girls and a boy,  in Australia.  She didn't have any special idea of what she wanted and the children were 9, 8, 4 and 2!
 
I have to say once I got home I wished I hadn't agreed.  I'm OK at following patterns, with my own additions, but when I have to decide on everything, I literally panic!  Eventually after several sleepless nights and many alterations on the way, here is what I came up with:

This is the first card - I'll put the others on separate blogs, otherwise it will be a very long blog!
 

I decided to make two tri-fold cards joined together to make a book-style card, tied with ribbon.  I used My Mind's Eye papers from the Merry Days of Christmas set and the die cut Christmas toppers from Kanban.  These are the front pages of the card.


This is inside the front page, behind Father Christmas - the snowman, little mouse and decorations are from Jane Nestorenko's Cute Companions' stamps which I coloured in using Promarkers.
 

 
This is the back page of the card, behind the Snowman, again using Jane Nestorenko's Cute Companions' stamps of the Christmas tree, glittered and decorated, and the mouse balancing on the parcels.
 
 
 
Apologies, this is quite a dark picture. This is as you pull the card completely open - I've used the Frostyville Border die from Memory Box on both sides but with different toppers on each side
 

Then this is the middle of the card, again using the Kanban Christmas toppers.

 
 
And finally this is the back of the card when it is closed up for you to write on.  It is an insert taken from Crafter's Companion Jayne Nestorenko CD and sprayed with some Crafter's Companion Iridescent Spray and Sparkle.
 

I made a white box using Crafter's Companion Ultimate Pro and added a smaller snowman cutout from Kanban on the front of it.

My hairdresser seemed very pleased with it and I was surprised at how good it looked.

I'll do another blog later showing another of the commissioned cards.

Thank you for looking.  x

2 comments:

KraftyKaren said...

Just had a look at all your commissioned cards - they are all really lovely, I am sure your hairdresser was pleased with them.

I know what you mean about making cards for orders - I am quite happy just making random cards and people picking and choosing from them but I just freeze when someone asks me to make something for them!!

liz said...

Thank you Karen. She certainly was.

I'm glad you understand and its not just me! x