Tuesday 5 January 2016

Beatrix Potter bunting

Hello
Thought I'd show you the latest present I made for my youngest grandson, Rory.

I bought the Beatrix Potter material at the Malvern Quilt show this Autumn and saw the material in pink, made up into a small cushion with piping round it.  So I bought a metre, planning on making the cushion for him.  I took it to Sharon at Whoopsiedaisy Designs for her to help me with the piping.  Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the cushion, which came out very well!!  I'll try and get one when I next see Rory.

However I had rather a lot of material left over and Sharon suggested I make some bunting and put Rory's name on it. As luck would have it, there were just enough letters left for me to cut out his name and some Beatrix Potter characters as well.

We decided to make the bunting in a semi curved flag - it gave more room to include the pictures.  I backed the bunting with pale blue flannelette and used pale blue cotton to make the string to hold the flags together.  


I made two flags on each end and put the initials in the middle.  


This flag mirrors the Peter Rabbit character Rory has painted on his nursery wall.


Because the two 'r's in Rory's name did not have any characters I could use as I have with the 'o' and the 'y' I backstitched by hand around the letter 'r'.  Then I machined the square onto the blue flannelette using a ziz-zag stitch.





I do love Jeremy Fisher so was very pleased to be able to include him  into the bunting.


I used the same Peter Rabbit character at the beginning and the end of the bunting as luckily there were two left in the material. 




I was very pleased with the result and everyone who saw it thought it was lovely too.

Thank you for looking.

Liz x

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Lovely gift Liz. x

liz said...

Thank you Lynn. You're very kind.
I think my son and daughter-in-law were pleased. xxx