My last post showed you the two baby bags I made for my daughter in-law and her friend.
As well as making the bags I also decided to make a changing mat to match the bags and also a little zippered bag for Emma.
As I had enough material left over I thought a little extra bag may come in handy. It has a zip and I've lined it with the same matching lining as the baby bag.
The changing mat pattern I made up myself. I bought some clear vinyl/oilcloth so the pattern of the material would show through and just cut it to size and to the amount of fabric I had available! Again I put both the lining and the main fabric together, sandwiching some wadding in-between for comfort.
The binding was an absolute nightmare to work with and did not come out all that well but it serves it purpose. I decided to machine sew the binding on one side first and then machine sew again on the other side. Although I had a walking foot the material kept slipping and eventually I used tissue paper to help. As you can see it has worked but looks rather creased. I pulled it as tight as I could but it still moved.
For the straps I used some of the main fabric and cut enough to wind round the mat so it would fold up neatly to fit into the bag and then used sticky velcro to fasten the ends together. I was quite pleased with the end result considering I made it up as I went along!
Anyway I was pleased enough to make a matching mat for the bag I had made for Charlotte and that seemed to come out a little better. I decided to quilt the mat before I put the vinyl on and that seemed to make it easier to put the binding on and I hand-sewed the binding on once I had machined one side and that seemed to work too.
However, needless to say I don't think I shall be working with oil-cloth or vinyl in a hurry again!!
I must say though both Emma and Charlotte seemed pleased with my efforts and I have seen my mats being used on a regular basis, so I must have done something right!
Thank you for looking.