Friday 6 November 2009

The Things I do ....


........ as a Grandma.  "Come to my Fireworks Party at school" my eldest grandaughter, Chloe said.  "Its tonight at 6.30pm".  Seemed like a good idea yesterday as the weather was so nice.  So I arranged to leave work early as I had an appointment at 5 pm.  My daughter, Kate, had forgotten the keys to my house so she borrowed mine, "as we'll be back long before you are, mum.  Chloe's swimming is only from 4.30 - 5pm."  Sounds good, doesn't it?  Well that would have been OK but my appointment finished early, I was back outside my house by 5.30pm - no daughter!  It is now persistently raining - so I'm sitting in my car like a wally.  Rang Kate, no answer so left a message.  She then rang me back, but I missed the call.  So she left a message.  It took me ten minutes to find out how to listen to her message on my mobile!  Well I'm not that used to it, am I?  Eventually worked out swimming was for an hour, not half an hour, so they turned up at 6pm.  Anyway we get changed, bundle back into the car and arrive at school just before 6.30pm.  By then it has stopped persistently raining, just falling down, instead.  Couldn't park car near school, so walked in pouring rain and blowing wind.  Got into school, absolutely crowded - band in assembly hall, crowded and boiling hot.  Disco in Chloe's classroom - so dark and noisy couldn't even lip read, and the flashing lights - my lord - didn't stay long in there.  Food for sale everywhere and drinks.  Full of very damp, hot, pushy adults with pushchairs that aim straight for the ankles!!  Anyway time for fireworks - everyone outside - very fine drizzle rain that gets everywhere!  Manage to stand just by entrance to school, under cover slightly but right by the door everyone is using to go in and out.  Never mind.  Fireworks lovely but younger grand daughter, Emily, has bad ears and has grommets in one, and the bangs started to hurt her, so we left the display.  Anyway after fireworks girls wanted to go to disco so Kate and I sat outside under partial shelter, right by the speakers but at least it was not too hot.  Eventually got home about 8 pm - completely drowned but the girls seemed to have enjoyed it, although Emily was sound asleep by the time we got home.  Ah the pleasures of being a grandmother!!




I'm going cropping at Jill's (Cardinal Colours) tomorow - can't wait!  A whole day just doing my own thing and no interruptions - yippee!  Bye xx

2 comments:

Anita said...

Awww, Liz, you are such a lovely Grandma and your little ladies look gorgeous.Such a shame about the weather last night wasn't it though. Really looking forwards to spending the day with you and the other girls today, see you in a bit..xxx

liz said...

Thanks Anita, see you soon. xx